By Evan Hall, COO/Partner Florcraft Carpet One
Welcome to the inaugural Spring Construction Showcase. We at Florcraft Carpet One are really excited about the idea of combining the Spring Parade of Homes and the Anchorage Home Show, I mean, what better way to show Covid who is boss by building some traffic for Local Businesses without putting 2500 people in a room together and crossing our fingers?
Since we have all spent the last year staring at our homes and dreaming about what our homes could be, we thought this would be a great opportunity to offer a list of Tips & Pointers to help you get started on your project – I mean nobody hates a top 10 list right? A home remodel can be one of the most rewarding and stressful events a homeowner will go through. There are numerous considerations to go over before making the decision to remodel, including whether the project is worth taking on at all. We decided to reach out to our team and see what they thought were the top 10 most important things to keep in mind to prepare for a remodel. Here is what they came up:
1. Set Expectations: It’s really easy to get caught up in the simplicity of an HGTV home upgrade especially when it all happens in under an hour with commercials. You are embarking on a large project, make sure that you understand everything that is coming at you and the impact it will have on your life. Work with a company or contractor that understands the ins and outs of your project and come at it from a place of curiosity. You can never ask enough or too many questions when it comes to a home improvement project, so don’t let it make you feel uncomfortable. It is your home, make sure you clearly understand everything involved. –Windi Brammer, Chief of Staff.
2. Schedule: Allow yourself enough time to plan and also plan for hiccups. If you're hoping for upgrades to be completed for a particular event or holiday, make sure you look at your end date and work your schedule backward. In Alaska especially, with potential freight delays, strained supply chains due to the pandemic, or trades working over each other, you should pencil in a few weeks to a month at the end for wiggle-room in case there are delays on the way in order to avoid disappointment. –Heidi Sandoval, Purchasing.
3. Budget: Set a budget and plan for extra. Most jobs will cost more and take longer than you expect. It is important to plan on going over roughly 10% of your budget, although some sources recommend planning for up to 25%. You never know what you will find under your existing flooring or behind your walls. If you don’t have the cash, consider cutting the project back a little or looking into financing. Florcraft offers several financing options, from 12 months same as cash to up to 5 years at affordable rates. If you happen to come in under budget, then your surprises will bring a smile to your face and your bank account! –Jenny Wicker, Account Manager.
4. There will be Dust: Unfortunately, construction projects can be messy and at minimum they are dusty. A few ways to control the spread of dust in your home during a project include taping off the construction areas and putting up temporary plastic walls. Keep in mind, this will not eliminate the dust, but it will help. Covering the warm-air and cold-air returns in the construction area can also help to keep dust from spreading through the rest of your home, but you should consult with an HVAC company before blocking ducts to make sure your furnace will still work effectively. –Nick Harrington, Rug Master.
5.Don’t Forget the Pets: Starting a home renovation is a very exciting endeavor! Keeping in mind the paw friends in our families are a great place to start for finding the right products that will endure their claws, spills, and zoomies! Having dogs, cats, and other furry friends in the home requires a durable surface with unique features like being waterproof, scratch-resistant, long term warranties, and of course, gorgeous colors! Even when you have a fish tank area there are special requirements like floor supports and tearing out the carpet for a cleaner water friendly area. Come see us at Florcraft Carpet One to find the best flooring and home remodeling options for your pets and you to live on for many happy years! We send tails wagging! –Caroline Potasz, Project-Coordinator.
6. Select the Right Flooring: When considering flooring for your home, you should think about what you want the room to “feel” like just as much as how the floor will perform for you and your family. Do you want it to look bigger? More casual and relaxed or smoother and more elegant? Fun and lively, or simple and unassuming so other parts of your space can stand out? You can make a correct choice on durability but fail to make the space perform visually. Here at Florcraft we don’t JUST focus on great prices and a functional floor to live on. We also take the time to make your spaces visually perform in the manner you need. If you are not sure when you come in, we can help get you there. Function and design. We do both here at Florcraft Carpet One. –Patrick Copell, Senior Sales Professional.
7. Choose a Trusted Partner: When considering a kitchen or bathroom remodel for your family, choose a family of professionals such as Florcraft. We have many years of experience in complete remodels. We want to be there for you and your family, and we want you to have a little fun along the way and happy with the results in the end. To achieve this, we work with your vision and show you options to take your vision to reality. Embrace your project, soon you’ll be standing there with a smile. –Jamie Tamanaha, Kitchen Bath & Flooring Specialist.
8. Trust Your Contractor with the Key: Hire a Licensed and Bonded professional to do work on your home. This will allow you to have a level of comfort and you can keep the rest of your world moving forward while your contractors keep your product moving at a steady pace. At Florcraft, all of our installation contractors are fully licensed and bonded, so you have an added level of security and comfort with the people working in your home. –Robert Cooley, Warehouseman.
9. Don’t Forget the Windows: In Alaska, window coverings are far more than a pretty way to cover your windows. They keep the light out and the heat in. Additionally, the right window covering can make sure that you keep wandering eyes out of your home. At Florcraft, we carry the full line of Hunter Douglas window coverings, which offer a large variety of visuals and features to make sure you are getting everything you can in a window covering. From top down-bottom up to powerrise and easy rise, we have just what you will need as far as window coverings in Alaska. –Kelsey, Hall Builder Specialist/Outside Sales.
10. Relax and Communicate: As we mentioned in the first bullet point on this list, make sure you and the professionals you are working with understand each other’s expectations and keep communication open at all costs. A home remodel is a lot of work and it takes patience and communication. It is your home and whoever you hire to work with on your project is there to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. Nobody wakes up and decides that today, they will ruin your world. Ask questions, and when something doesn’t go as you thought it would, call a ‘time out’ and make sure everyone understands where you are coming from and that your concerns are addressed. –Seth Catoe, Commercial & Residential Project Coordinator
Learn more about our store.
Thank you for contacting Carpet One Floor & Home. Your local flooring expert will reach out to you regarding your inquiry.